Thursday, January 19, 2012

So the first full week of classes are over and I'm afraid the part where I realize I'm not still actually on vacation has set in. This isn't in a bad way, its just that the haze of being on a different continent has settled a bit and I have to actually get some things done.  Everything has been going really well though!

Today I had four classes (busiest day) and made the mistake of staying up until 2:30 last night watching Forgetting Sarah Marshall and The Social Network. Needless to say there was some dozing in at least one class. Its a bit harder to hide when there are only 6 students. No class tomorrow though! We are going to do an official tour of Macerata starting at 9AM. I'm excited for picture taking and for seeing the relatively famous giant outdoor opera venue called the Sferisterio where they have an opera festival every July. I think later in the evening we're going to go watch auditions for a festival that are judged and held by music students from the University of Macerata. Should be interesting at the least!

This week I've been to my painting class solo three times at the Academia de Bella Arte. That's right, only bella arte. Anyway its really nice to have to be independent for that class. Here are a few samplings from the week in painting.



This is what art kids do to bathroom mirrors. Also this mirror is huge.


Every window on this side of the art building gets to look out on this. I don't know which side it faces because I haven't oriented myself in terms of cardinal directions yet. Maybe south because of the mountains?


So there are potted plants eevveerywhere. This is just a small grouping in the corner of our classroom. I like to call it 'Plant Family'.


Here's some progress on the first painting project I've been working on. Its preeeetty rough at the moment; I've got to figure out how to work this Tempra paint to make me look skilled.

Oh! We finally got some internet access at our apartment! I'm sharing what is basically a giant internet-giving flashdrive with my roommate, so Skyping and blogging should be a lot easier now. Get ahold of me with your Skype name if you're up for it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you'll figure out the "getting enough sleep " problem. I think the painting looks great. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete