Saturday, January 14, 2012

Alright, time to catch up.  I have pretty limited use of the internet compared to what I'm used to, so its been difficult to update as much as I would like to.  This is super inconvenient but also really good for me. I use the computer too much. Plus, I'm in Italy, I shouldn't be on a computer and this will help me get more work done.  Either way, this first week has been planned out so I haven't had much down time at all. It will be really nice to start classes next week and have a lot more independence as far as my day goes.

The difference in technology here is definitely something we have all been adjusting to. You don't realize how addicted to constant contact and interaction on the internet you are until it isn't there. I feel a bit spoiled now thinking about the constant connection I have to the internet at home. At my house we have wireless internet and at school I always had an Internet connection. My iPhone was a constant connection too. Its really hard to not be able to talk to people close to me whenever I would like. But in the grand scheme, it isn't a real problem. Just a culture adjustment. It makes you think about the people who have never had any expose to computers or the Internet.  Even thinking about fifty years ago when none of this existed for the public is really strange. Internet connection is just insane. Also the keyboards here are weird. It took about 5 of us 15 minutes to figure out how to type the @.

So, lack of communication is interesting and frustrating and a bit embarrassing at times.  We went out to dinner by ourselves for the first time two nights ago and it was incredible to see how stressed out we all got just looking at the Italian menu. We thought it would be much harder to order than it was.  We also don't know the customs of Italy very well yet, and the way they eat here is definitely different. As far as I can understand, the courses consist of an antipasta, pasta, and then the main course which is typically a meat and vegetables. Then dessert.  Then there is always coffee. These Italians aren't joking around. We were at the restaurant for almost four hours.  Quite different from the American experience.  It seems like they value the food and time spent eating more, and my inner fat-kid agrees whole-heartedly. Food is great. Viva Italia!

We started our Italian class Thursday morning and begin everything else on Monday.  I'm really excited for classes, especially my painting course.  I turned out to be the only student that signed up for it so I get to sort of work it into my schedule at convenient hours.  I have a sketchbook that I have to draw in all semester and turn in at the end which is super awesome. I was afraid I wouldn't take full sketching advantage, so this will really help. Here's what my schedule will look like:

M = 8:30-11:30 Italian, 12-1 Painting, 1:20-3 Cinema
T = 8:30 - 10 Italian, 10:20 - 12 Art History, 2:20 - 3:30 Culture
W = 10 - 1 Painting
R = 8:30-11:30 Italian, 10:20 - 12 Art History, 1:20-3 Cinema, 3-5 Painting

Friday we don't have class but will go on trips around Macerata and to other cities like Rome and Florence.  

We moved into our apartments Wednesday and they are really nice.  I'm in a 2 bedroom with two other girls, I share a room with Carolyn and Ellie has her own.  The apartment is a lot bigger than we were expecting! The city is much more conservative with water and heat because they have limited resources so we have a certain amount of hours we can have the heat on, but when we aren't home all day it isn't really a problem.  Plus it has been in at least the 40s every day I've been here.  I love our kitchen and bathroom, both are white and good sized.  We have a bathtub which is also lovely. Pictures are below!

We went out last night and had a really fun time, but it was a bit rough getting up for 8:30 class this morning. Macerata is relatively small, but there is a good night scene. It was nice to be out on our own and try to talk to people.  I mostly ended up babbling in Spanish, which I remember a surprising amount of, but its actually pretty similar so I managed to speak to a few people.  

Alright. I need to get ready because tonight we are going to the Macerata Symphony! I think I'm more excited about this than the other girls, but they are playing some Grieg and although he's pretty much the only classical composer I listen to specifically, I like to say its my favorite. Peer Gynt! Also Chikovski! This is spelled wrong. Events are a lot later in the evening here; the 'sinfonica' doesn't start until 9. I asked my professor about it and he said this is a big cultural difference, in Italy its typical for the theater to not begin until around 9 and then to go out for dinner afterward. I think this is a little crazy but it suits me well. 

This is the Ostello de Ricci (aka the strange hostel we stayed in the few couple of days).

A room in the AHA Building, I get to take a couple of classes in here. 

Another room of the AHA building, a small library!

A gorgeous hallway connecting rooms in AHA.

Outside of AHA, which is in a gorgeous old Italian building.

Diamondy Italian building.


Loving this countryside. Although I'm not sure how you couldn't. I'm determined to roll around the hills.


Our first apartment-made meal!


Loverly roomates. Chirp Chirp!

Me experimenting with the self-timer. This kitchen is real cute.




No comments:

Post a Comment