Monday, January 16, 2012


Here we have the Macerata Symphony playing some Peer Gynt! I recorded this just for the music, so there's not much of an image. It was so so so good!

Today was my first day of real classes. I had Italian for three hours where we learned to conjugate verbs to the present tense and learned about indefinite and definite articles (something that I had actually forgotten about in in english. Whoops.).  We are moving pretty quickly in that class but its good, we need all the practice we can get.  I'm glad to have a very good teacher, even though she's probably only 5 years older than me. 

After that I ate two pieces of pizza way too fast and ventured off to see Prof. Teresa Marasca for painting. I take that class in the Art Academia down the road from AHA and its feels nice and comfortable to be back in an art building. She had me gesso (put a base coat of white paint on) two small square canvases. The first project I'm doing is to recreate a Renaissance piece in tempura. The piece is just a section of 'Annunciation' by Lorenzo Lotto. This is what the whole painting looks like:


I will just be working on this section:


I'll split it between the two small canvases. This should be a good project; I haven't had to paint much in school so far and I do like to study other artists by painting their works.  Plus this section is really interesting.

After painting I had my film class, which I believe everyone in the program (all eight of us) is in.  Today we started off right away by watching "Moonstruck" (1987).  My goodness. The film class is concerned specifically with how Italian culture is viewed through the eye of the American director compared to the Italian director.  Let's just say this film stars Cher and Nicholas Cage. Though some of the Italian cliches were a tad much, I actually got pretty caught up in it by the end. Now everyone else is in a History of Modern Italy class, which I kindof feel bad for not signing up for, but I wouldn't be getting any credits.  Plus I have painting and an independent study in graphic design to worry about. Art student complaints.
Regardless I am completely enjoying being done with class by 3 o'clock! Also not having a job is so nice, I needed a break from working. 

Oh! We had snow flurries this morning! Whhhatt?!?!?!? I will not stand for this, but I do have my winter coat. I'm sure everyone in the Midwest is about to punch me in the face for complaining about approximately 24 tiny pieces of snow that didn't even stick to the ground. I'm working on getting good apartment pictures. Hope everyone is surviving the January Indiana weather, I miss you all!


1 comment:

  1. So glad to here all is working out. What a great time you must be having. I'll keep up with all you post,I miss you already.

    ReplyDelete